American Board of Trial Advocates
Best Attorneys
Multi Million Dollar
Million Dollar
Maryland Association for Justice
Super Lawyers
Awards 2015
The American
Super Lawyers
Top 50 Woman - Maryland
Top 100 - Maryland
Best Lawyers

Wrong Site Surgery

Medical Malpractice Lawyer Assisting Patients in Baltimore and Surrounding Areas

A wrong site surgery occurs when a surgeon performs a procedure on the wrong part of a patient’s body, performs the wrong procedure, or performs a procedure on the wrong patient. Wrong site surgery is preventable. When it takes place, doctors and hospitals may be liable for the patient’s resulting harm. If you or someone close to you has been a victim of wrong site surgery, you may want to file a medical malpractice claim against the at-fault party. At Arfaa Law Group, we can investigate the events that happened to you and pursue the compensation that you deserve. Baltimore medical malpractice attorney Julia Arfaa is experienced in handling the issues that often arise in these cases.

Pursuing Compensation Following a Wrong Site Surgery

Unfortunately, wrong site surgeries may be more common than you may think. According to the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), wrong site surgery is the third-highest ranking event for preventable medical mistakes, accounting for 15 percent of the total preventable medical mistakes that take place. JCAHO also found that 76 percent of wrong site surgeries were surgeries performed on the wrong body part. The other 24 percent were split between performing the wrong procedure and performing the right procedure on the wrong person.

Wrong site surgery may lead to a number of health complications for patients. In some cases, patients may require additional procedures to undo the mistake or address new problems created by the surgeon’s error. In other cases, the damage caused by a wrong site surgery may be so serious that it may lead to a patient’s death. For example, if a surgeon removes a patient’s healthy kidney instead of a diseased kidney, the results may be life-threatening.

If you have suffered harm due to a wrong site surgery, you may take legal action by filing a medical malpractice claim against the at-fault party. A medical malpractice claim is a civil lawsuit that is meant to hold medical professionals accountable for negligent conduct. In order to win in a medical malpractice case, the plaintiff must establish that the defendant medical professional caused their harm by failing to adhere to the expected standard of care. The expected standard of care is defined as how an adequately trained, reasonably skilled medical professional in the same specialty would have acted under the same or similar circumstances.

Victims of a wrong site surgery have a limited time frame to file a medical malpractice claim, known as the statute of limitations. In Maryland, a medical malpractice lawsuit must be filed within five years from the date of the injury, or within three years from the date that the injury was discovered, whichever is earlier. It is critical to adhere to these deadlines to preserve the ability to seek compensation.

Discuss Your Medical Malpractice Case with a Baltimore Attorney

A wrong site surgery may lead to serious and long-term health complications for a patient. If you have been a victim of this type of negligence, we can help. At Arfaa Law Group, Baltimore lawyer Julia Arfaa can work diligently to build a strong case and protect your rights. Our firm represents people throughout the State of Maryland who are seeking assistance in holding a negligent health care provider accountable. Call 410-889-1850 or contact us online for a free consultation with an injury lawyer.